The Ross Ulbricht Legal Defense effort is a group of family, friends and supporters who are working to free Ross Ulbricht from a barbaric, double life sentence for all non-violent charges. Our mission is to have Ross be a free man again and give him the chance to make a contribution to his community and society.
Our aim is not only to help Ross, however. By living through this ordeal, and getting to know other families and inmates in the prison, we have learned that Ross is not unique in how he was investigated, tried or sentenced. We have seen firsthand how our constitutional protections are too often being eroded. We hope that by shining a light on the plight of multiple thousands of people in our criminal justice system, and sounding a warning about our diminishing freedoms, we can help move the US toward being a more just and free nation.
In addition to funding Ross’s appeal and gaining his freedom, we are focused on the following issues:
- The right to a fair trial, a bulwark of our liberty.
- Draconian sentencing practices, so common in our justice system.
- The state of mass incarceration in the US.
- The expensive, cruel and failed Drug War.
- The right to privacy and threats to the 4th Amendment and other constitutional protections.
- Prosecutorial misconduct
- Dangerous precedents set with the Silk Road case.
Our supporters come from all over the world and all walks of life, ages and political persuasions. They are people who see past the sensationalism that has clouded the case to the importance of the larger issues that it will impact. Please join us and them!